- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (5- to 6-pound) Boston butt pork roast or pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Garnishes: lemon slices, grated lemon rind
Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl. Add pork roast, turning to coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate roast at least 4 hours or overnight.
Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade. Brown all sides of roast in hot oil in a Dutch oven. Add reserved marinade.
Bake, covered, at 275° for 6 to 7 hours or until meat can be shredded. Garnish, if desired.